The only surviving cinema in Streatham is the Odeon. It opened on 30 June 1930 as the Astoria with a seating capacity of 2,576. Built in the style of an Egyptian temple with an interior of Egyptian red, green and gold and walls with bas-reliefs of Egyptian scenes. The stage was far larger than many West End theatres 78ft by 38ft and a height of 69ft. The large Compton organ took 6 months to erect and build.